GFM is committed to being responsible and valued members of the community; we have an inclusive, collaborative and sensitive approach to working with our local Traditional Owner Groups Djabugay, Yirrijandji & Gimuy Yindinji. At GFM we acknowledge the Australian and Torres Strait Islander peoples of this nation. We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the lands on which we conduct our business and our staff live and work. GFM are committed to honouring Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples unique cultural and spiritual relationship to the land, waters and seas and their rich contributions to society.
We are determined to ensure that we have an effective Cultural Heritage Policy, in pursuing the best practicable options in regards to recognition, protection and conservation of our Australian Cultural Heritage:
- We will aim to comply fully with and keep abreast of all legal obligations covering our operations.
- We will endeavour to ensure our employees and contractors act in accordance with the Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Act 2003 and the Torres Strait Islander Cultural Heritage Act 2003.
- We will endeavour to ensure our employees and contractors act in accordance with our Cultural Heritage Policy, for which we will provide appropriate training and communications.
- We will endeavour to communicate this Policy to our customers.
- We will endeavour to develop trust and cooperation with our local Traditional Owner Groups.
- We will endeavour to show respect to our Local Traditional Owner Groups by protecting sites of cultural significance.
- We will aim to integrate Cultural Heritage arrangements with the safe and efficient operations of our company on a daily basis.
GFM accepts its responsibility to be aware of and enforce the provisions of all Environmental Acts, Regulations, Local Authority Law, company policies, procedures and work practices that may apply to GFM work activities.
Staff also have responsibilities to adhere to the environmental requirements of the job, with team leaders being required to encourage and lead by example.
GFM is committed to environmental management through:
- Continual improvement of our operations
- Ensuring that all environmental impacts resulting from our activities and services are identified, assessed and controlled.
- Reporting of all hazards
- Develop operational controls for identified environmental impacts
- Working Closely with wildlife officers
- Investigating all incidents
- Prevention of pollution
- Prevention of negative environmental outcomes
- Waste Management
- Safe, positive supervision at all levels
- Ongoing training in environmentally responsible methods of work
- Compliance with all relevant environmental legislation and requirements.